Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bode Museum… Completion of the Island





After our ‘end of semester’ meeting, Deborah, Sadie and I headed to the Bode Museum on Museum Island. This museum is perched on the corner of Museum Island with its large dome roof. It houses art from the Middle Ages, Baroque, Gothic and Renaissance periods. To be perfectly honest, I’m not the biggest fan of these periods but I was determined to finish the Island! We grabbed the audio guides to keep us entertained which helped naturally.
There were some beautiful and interesting pieces, mostly religious pieces stolen from churches around Europe. This museum’s collection was put in a bunker in Berlin during WWII but that bunker was unfortunately bombed and a fire followed. Certain pieces had text next to them indicating that that piece was damaged during this event. Some pieces were lost to the fire as well.
I did get to see one piece that I studied in my ‘Survey of Western Art’ class in the fall—Michiel Coxcie’s “The Descent from the Cross.”
Deborah and I have now completed Museum Island! We visited all 5 museums! We deserve props because we didn’t half a$$ them but rather took our time and even struggled through hallways full of coins, rooms full of statues and figurines with misshapen body parts (like the massive foot above!)

No comments:

Post a Comment