Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pergamon Museum... land of stolen wonders.







Like the past Tuesdays, Deborah and I have enjoyed our “Tuesday Museum Date” together. Meeting at Starbucks near Friederichstrasse to fuel up with warm drinks and sweets, Deborah and I got ready for our trip to the Pergamon Museum. This museum is most famous for its reconstructed buildings of the Pergamon Altar, Ishtar Gate and the Market Gate of Miletus.
Being in the museum shot me straight back to high school Latin class learning about Greek and Roman mythology. There was a special exhibits specifically on the Greek gods and goddesses which I could have spent all day in remembering all the stories to.
The museum had a fantastic collection of Greek and Roman original sculpture. Deborah and I spent over two hours in the museum before we realized that we had only covered one wing of the museum. We are planning on covering the other half on a later week….

P.S. with our student passes, we got free audio guides. Deborah and I both got a kick out of the "Hugh Grant" sounding man teaching us art history…

No comments:

Post a Comment