Sunday, February 14, 2010

Visiting the Holocaust Memorial







This past Friday I visited the Holocaust Denkmal (Holocaust Memorial). The memorial is a labyrinth of 2,700 concrete slabs that lack any plaque or marking saying what they commemorate. Rather, you are free to walk in and out of the slabs which vary in height from just a foot high to up to 15 feet. The memorial was designed by Peter Eisenman and was controversy due to its lack of symbolism and religious significance. The designer rather wanted the memorial to be something part of daily life. I read a quote by the designer that I found interesting “I like to think that people will use it for short cuts, as an everyday experience, not as a holy place.”
The snow had created a perfect layer of snow over and tucked in between each slab, creating a beautiful view and calming walk through. It would be a great place to get lost in, there were plenty of people shouting each other’s names trying to find each other.
Underneath the memorial there is a great (and free) museum about the Holocaust victims. I recommend it to anyone coming to Berlin.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jillian,
    Not sure if you received my previous message (I think I screwed it up) so if I'm repeating myself, forgive me.
    Looks like you're learning and experiencing lots of good stuff and having lots of fun in the meantime.
    Keep it up and enjoy your upcoming visits with everyone.
    Can't say we're not jealous!
    We'll be there end of June/beg of July. Wish we could all be there at the same time.
    Regards to all.
    Love Bob & Nick

    ReplyDelete