Monday, January 11, 2010

My First Weekend in Berlin

Hello again! Life in Berlin has been quite busy, but amazing. I've met some really great people who have been good company. On Saturday, we (Sam, Deborah and I) made a visit to Aldi, a discount market near the apartments. Unfortunately, walking back with bags of grocery in the snow wasn't fun but having a fridge full of food was a good reward. Later that day we (Sam, Deborah, Emilie and I) took a trip to IKEA were I grabbed lose ends for my apartment-- bath rug, new pillow, cereal bowls, oven mittens, trash can.

A word on the apartment- fantastic. It is the perfect studio. You walk into a foyer with closets to your left and right, more than enough for storage. The bathroom is good sized with a towel warmer which has come in handy! The living area is beyond roomy with more storage. There is a tv (I am currently catching up on some world news with English CNN), a kitchenette with an oven, stove and sink, and a balcony (which is currently covered in snow). Deborah and Sam live in my building so we've already had a viewing of "Little Miss Sunshine" and ate some dinners together.

Later on Saturday we met the FU Best program assistants and fellow students at a bar for a orientation gathering. There we all indulged in our first German beers and good conversations. Sunday morning I got up for a tour of the historical sections of Berlin by the program director, including the Bradenburger Tor and Museum Island.

Today was my first day of school! I had an interview for my placement in my German class, then spent the rest of the day with Sam exploring Western Kreuzberg on Gneisenaustrasse.

No comments:

Post a Comment