Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day Nine and Ten: Back in Bilbao, Saying Goodbye to Bilbao





We got back to Bilbao later in the afternoon on Saturday to wind advisories warning of 100 mph winds. Josh’s roommate told us of how the city was awaiting dangerous winds and that staying in was probably the best idea. Tired from our trip, Josh and I made dinner at this apartment and watched “Vicky Christina Barcelona” with a bottle of wine we bought at one of the wineries. We did go outside to grab dessert and were surprised to see, or rather feel, that the wind was not too serious in Bilbao but that the heat had set in. It must have been in the upper 60s, which is unusual for Bilbao. Just as my skin had adjusted to constantly being cold, it was tricked into enjoying warmer weather again!
The weather continued into Sunday. Josh and I strolled to the Museum of Fine Art’s café for a afternoon coffee break. The café looks onto a park and is perfect for people watching. The park was full of older couples strolling arm in arm, young children running around and, of course my favorite, dogs!
After a lazy afternoon of reading, we spent my actual last night with a return visit to “La Deliciouso.” I think one of the main ways to sum up my trip to Spain is this- bread, steak, wine and dessert.
My unexpected extended stay in Spain turned out to be a treat—great food, great wine, great weather. Josh was a great tour guide and he got us through Spain with his impressive Spanish! Most importantly, I got to see more of Spain than I think I would have ever put an effort into seeing.

1 comment:

  1. Touch of improved weather and just a light jacket....hope you put on your sunscreen. The sun was shining and blue skies to enjoy.....No gloves. WOW!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete