Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day Six and Seven: Getting to know Bilbao Better







I was lucky to have the option to stay with Josh in Spain after my plans were changed. His roommates understood my situation and let me stay at the apartment without questions.
On Wednesday, I spent the early afternoon reading up on Etxebarria Park. The weather was incredible—sun shining, partly cloudy, no rain! It felt great to just sit and read a good book with occasional spying on dogs playing on the grass or exchanging smiles with locals walking through the park. After a quick coffee at Deusto University’s cafeteria (which puts USF’s to shame, especially with its view of the Guggenheim) with Josh’s friend Clint, Josh and I made our way to Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao for its free admission day. Although it was my second visit, this time I definitely enjoyed it more as I didn’t have a flight hanging over my head. The museum has an extensive collection of art from the Baroque period through modern art, which requires a coffee break in the museum’s great café in between.
Thursday was a lazy day, I spent the early afternoon in Moyua Plaza walking in and out of shops. I bought a dress at ZARA. I felt a bit under the weather so I took an afternoon nap while Josh was in class. Later that evening, Josh and I went to see the Bilbao Orchestra Symphony. They played Tchaikovsky with a guest cellist. I was blown away, there is something about string instruments that make me cry. After intermission, the horns and drums joined in and the orchestra played an epic piece by Shostakovich. Afterwards, we grabbed a sweet at a café that has been open since 1903. The café was beautiful with bright tiles, dark wood and beautiful antique lamps.

1 comment:

  1. Did not miss a beat.....made the best of a detour and continued your adventure and opportunity....

    ReplyDelete