Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day One: Tour of Bilbao







Spring break started early with a 6am flight. I was in a taxi by 3:30am and checked in with plenty of time. After a short layover in Mallorca, I arrived in Bilbao at 11:30am. Josh picked me up at the airport and, after a short lunch break at his apartment, we did a walking tour of the main sights in Bilbao which Josh organized. We walked by where the Symphony plays, an architecturally interesting building with a rusty exterior, passed Deusto University, where Josh goes to school, then on to the famous Guggenheim. The Guggenheim is quite a sight, with its naval structure and reflective titanium panels. I was excited to see Louise Bourgeois’ Maman, a spider statue I had studied last semester in my Women and Art class. After walking over the Zubizuri bridge and along the Bilbao river, we took an elevator to a hill looking over the city. As we reached the top an incredible rainbow emerged, perfect timing! Then we walked down the hill through Bilbao’s Casco Viejo district which is quite a charming area with its Plaza Nueva and Unamono Square. Something unique to northern Spain is their enclosed balconies with rod iron frames. They really are beautiful and added to the atmosphere of this district.
We then strolled back to visit the Guggenheim. There is a great Richard Serra sculpture collection downstairs of massive metal structures which you could stroll in and out of. Upstairs housed a gallery full of Expressionist work I had just been tested on by my Art History midterms just under 24 hours before!
As my energy ran low, we made dinner at Josh’s apartment and watched Conan O’Brien’s last show, which my dad graciously sent me in a care package 

1 comment:

  1. loved the pic with the rainbow.....capturing such beauty

    ReplyDelete